Tuesday 20 March 2012

Satay Chicken with rice and home made tortillas

I dropped the kids off at school this morning and was wrecking my brain trying to think of something 'nice' to make for dinner. Of course it's not for a special occasion, I just wanted to make something different...
I went to mum's and decided I'd catch up with 'life in mum's world' and was chatting to her about dinner ideas. I then jumped onto You Tube and showed her the new show I'm addicted to... Cake Boss. I absolutely love that show and can imagine me and my kids doing something like that... Talk about 'Dream Job'.
Any who, I was trawling google for Chicken recipes and wasn't sure if I was going to make Chicken Enchilladas or Satay Chicken. I knew I had most of the ingrediants for both but was just missing the chicken.
I trotted off to the butchers and bought my boneless breasts and then popped into the green grocers and bought capsicum and spring onions. Bearing in mind that I only had $20 to spend on dinner and was happy that I managed to pick up some extra staples, bread and milk and still had change :)

I come home and need to clean up before I even think about starting on cooking anything...

After a quick tidy, I decided that I was going to make my own tortillas. I couldn't believe how easy they were and how quickly I managed to whip them up.
 So now I move onto my satay. After dicing and browning the chicken, I pull it out of the pan and throw in some butter. I browned some onions and then threw in my spices, peanut butter and tomato paste. Returned the chicken back to the pan and added some chicken stock. Reduced it down and then threw in my veges and some coconut cream.

The kids were salivating at the aromas coming from the kitchen and were starting to behave like vultures waiting for their dinner.

The silence whilst they ate was priceless and a sure indication when the chiming of forks hitting their empty plates rang out I knew my peace was to be short lived.

I've been combing 'Trade Me' for some more baking supplies as I have a cake to bake each month til August and will need a heap of stuff.

Time to pull out the pen and paper and start designing my elephant cake for Mum's birthday next month. It'll be here before I realise it...

Before I go though, here are some pics from tonights dinner...

2 comments:

  1. I am SO impressed that you made those breads yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I enjoy making different types of bread. These were remarkably easy to make and cook.

      Delete

The people who make me - me

My photo
My 4 guinea pigs... Daniel My husband. He is not the best critic because he will eat everything I serve him on a plate and say it tastes 'nice'. Nate My 17 year old son who will eat anything put in front of him. Juni My 8 year old son who is fast becoming like his big brother in regards to the amount he eats. Nika My 6 year old princess. She eats more like a little sparrow and rarely over indulges in food. She is my favourite critic as she will tell me what tastes good and what tastes great. My family Pop My dad. Although he has minimal involvement in my life, I believe he has played a major roll in the person I have become. Mum My ear, shoulder and confidant. A woman worth her weight in gold. She is always there to have a good chin wag with and has inspired a few of my creations. Then there's me - Kiri. I have always enjoyed baking. I learnt early on that the quickest way to my heart was through food which is probably why I LOVE to cook for people.

Followers